SheriC

Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

Appreciative Inquiry ★☆☆☆☆

Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change - Diana D. Whitney, David L. Cooperrider

In lieu of an actual review, I am offering an exerpt from the paper I wrote after being forced to read this book and attempt to apply the "principles of Appreciative Inquiry" to a real-world situation in a healthcare setting:

"I found Cooperrider and Whitney’s (2005) text to be so dense with jargon as to be nearly incomprehensible and so sparse with instructions to operationalize their theory that I am not confident in my ability to apply the full theory of Appreciative Inquiry to a real-world situation. My primary conclusion on completing the reading was that the book serves more as a marketing tool for the authors’ consulting services than it does as a primer on the theory."

My instructor scored my paper 4/5 points, making it the only assignment in this course that I did not make an A on. Clearly, my instructor has a much higher opinion of this steaming pile of poo than I do, but I could not bring myself to pretend to embrace it, even for the sake of sucking up for a good grade. If you're interested in a good organizational change theory, I recommend Kotter's Leading Change. I've personally used it with great success in several improvement projects, and it is written in a sensible, useful style for a grounded audience, rather than in the style of a carnival barker trying to sell the rubes on some snake oil.