SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen ★★★☆☆

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen - Susan Gregg Gilmore

I am such a fool. This book seemed to promise much more than my low expectations. Characters that were just on the nuanced side of caricature and a seemingly stereotypical plot about the small town girl who dreams big, but with so many hints of things happening just off camera and waiting for a surprise reveal. But on exactly page 167, it started to sour for me as I realized that it was all just a mean trick, that the caricatures were just exactly that and no more, and 10 pages later when the promises of an atypical plot began to fail to deliver. And by the last two chapters, I was just skimming because I was sliding into diabetic coma from the glurge.

This probably doesn't deserve 3 stars, but I'm giving it 2 stars for a book that I voluntarily finished instead of DNFing and an extra star because I enjoyed at least half of it, even if I felt horribly betrayed by the time I finished.