SheriC

Portable Magic

Carpe Jugulum (Discworld, #23)
Terry Pratchett
The Dry
Jane Harper
Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages
SPOILER ALERT!

HP & the Cursed Child: progress - 104/319 pages

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child  -  Parts I & II (Special Rehearsal Edition) - J.K. Rowling, John Kerr Tiffany, Jack Thorne

It's not just the differences between the format of a play vs. a novel. The dialogue and characterization in CC doesn't even approach matching the original.

Comparing the centaurs's dialogue from Half Blood Prince (sort-of spoiler):

HBP:

"Firenze has entered into servitude to humans... He is peddling our knowledge and secrets among humans. There can be no return from such a disgrace."

"They already have the arrogance of their kind! So we were to do your dirty work, were we, human girl? We were to act as your servants, drive away your enemies like obedient hounds?

"We do not help humans! We are a race apart and proud to be so. We will not permit you to walk from here, boasting that we did your bidding!"

CC:

"I can only tell you what I know... But I tell you not for your benefit but for the benefit of my herd. The centaurs do not need another war."

"I've seen your son, Harry Potter. Seen him in the movement of the stars."

"I can't tell you where he is. I can't tell you how you'll find him."

"There is a black cloud around your son, a dangerous black cloud."

(bonus: from The Sorcerer's Stone, this is the centaurs' idea of sharing what they've learned from the stars: "Mars is bright tonight. Unusually bright."