SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

The Things We Keep ★★☆☆☆

The Things We Keep: A Novel - Barrie Kreinik, Sally Hepworth, Therese Plummer

This book started out strong, then degenerated into a mess as it kept adding characters and wandering aimlessly between storylines. First it was a pretty effective 1st person POV story of a young woman who is experiencing the gradual dissolution of her known world through the progression of Alzheimer's. It seems set to tackle some of the challenging issues of autonomy, self-determination, and the ability to provide informed consent as cognition declines, wrapped up in a sweet love story. Then we start muddying the story with other 1st person POV characters, dealing with completely different issues and concerns, and attempting to weave them together.

I found myself first annoyed, then losing interest. I decided to DNF at 75% when another book I had on hold at the library became available.

Audiobook version, borrowed from my public library. The performances by Therese Plummer and Barrie Kreinik were very good.