Portable Magic

J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

Stardust ★★★★★

Stardust - Neil Gaiman

Stardust is a wonderful little fairy tale of a story. It has magic spells and evil witches and falling stars and captive nymphs and an ordinary, well-meaning, naïve boy who goes on a quest for true love. Best of all, this audiobook is read by Neil Gaiman himself, and he is my absolute favorite for authors reading their own work.

This audiobook has a bonus at the end, an interview with the author discussing the origins of the story and his thoughts on audiobooks and why he puts in the time and effort to read his own work. My favorite quote:

“If I’m reading it, (they’re) hearing it how it is in my head. It doesn’t mean it’s definitive, because once it’s written, it belongs to everybody. But it does mean that it’s how I read it… (discussion of his favorite audios)… There’s a special magic joy to hearing… these poets reading their own work.”

I agree, and while I enjoy all his books on audio, it’s definitely a special magic joy when he does the performance himself.

Audiobook version, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive