SheriC

Progress: 22/414 pages
Hogfather
Terry Pratchett
Progress: 85/356 pages
The Arm: Inside the Billion-Dollar Mystery of the Most Valuable Commodity in Sports
Jeff Passan
Progress: 104/368 pages
Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

The Adventure of Silver Blaze ★★☆☆☆

Five Bloodcurdling Mysteries - Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Dickens,  Arthur Conan Doyle, Bram Stoker

I'm not nearly as well-read in the classics as I ought to be. With the exception of Jane Austen, I find them more work than pleasure, and I like to read for pleasure. But at least one good, if ridiculously superficial, reason for having a solid knowledge of classics is to at least be on the inside whenever contemporary novels and pop culture references it. And so this is my primary takeaway from what may be my very first Sherlock Holmes story: Now I have the full context for "the curious incident of the dog in the night time"!

Otherwise: Well-plotted. I liked Holmes' private little revenge on the horse's owner for his dismissive arrogance. I was really annoyed that Doyle

placed the blame for the entire situation on the mistress of the groom rather than on the cheating sonofabitch himself: "'I had no doubt that this woman had plunged him head-over-ears in debt, and so led him into this miserable plot.'"

(show spoiler)

Audiobook version, competently read by Bill Wallis.

I read this short story for the 2016 Halloween Bingo, for the Genre: Mystery square.