SheriC

Portable Magic

Carpe Jugulum (Discworld, #23)
Terry Pratchett
The Dry
Jane Harper
Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer ★☆☆☆☆

The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red - Ellen Rimbauer, Joyce Reardon

About the only thing positive I can say about this book is that the premise is interesting. Of course, the idea of a house that is

itself an evil entity isn’t original, but the notion that the house’s owners are also its servants who feed it until they are themselves absorbed is pretty fun.

(show spoiler)

The execution is lacking, though. I finished the book out of mild curiosity to see how the story played out and because I needed the Supernatural bingo square for the 2016 Halloween Bingo.

This book was written as a movie tie-in, intended to serve as a prequel and Blair Witch style marketing hype. It refers to supplemental materials on a now-defunct website for the fake university that the fake author supposedly taught at. I suppose this is one of the downsides to the multimedia book idea that I enjoyed with Night Film. The book is forever, but the online supplementals are transient and render the book itself forever incomplete.

On a side note: I see that I originally rated this book 4 stars when I read it eleven years ago. Funny how our tastes and judgement change over time.