SheriC

The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 35 %

The Cask of Amontillado ★★★★☆

The Illustrated Edgar Allan Poe - Edgar Allan Poe, Lucio Mondini, Jessica Angiulli

Another favorite Poe short story. This is the tale of one wealthy man taking revenge on another for unspecified past insults. The writing is direct, almost spare for Poe, but steadily builds the atmosphere as the narrator’s plot and Fortunato’s doom is revealed, until the final, faint jingling of Fortunato’s carnival costume. Fortunato’s own complicity in his fate, through his greed and arrogance, is a nice touch.

Like the other stories in this Illustrated Poe collection, the illustrations are wonderful. But this story has only one popup, and as it’s constructed as a lifted flap, I couldn’t include an image of it here.

I read this for the Grave or Graveyard square in the 2016 Halloween Bingo, because the

key action takes place in Montresor’s family crypt, which (for some reason) does double duty as his wine cellar, and certainly becomes Fortunato’s grave.

(show spoiler)

This is my last non-bingo book. For every other book I finish, I'll get at least one more bingo!