Portable Magic

J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

Witch’s Guide to Cooking Children ★★☆☆☆

The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children - Yoko Tanaka, Keith McGowan

This is a revision of Hansel and Gretel, in a modern setting. A brother and sister fight off the witch who eats children. The witch no longer lives in a gingerbread house in the woods. Her woods have all be cut down and the city has grown up around it, so she now lives in an apartment building and accepts donations of from parents who are annoyed by their children. It’s a cute idea, but the story is a little muddled by seemingly pointless additional characters and the writing is not terribly engaging, compared to other middle grade books I’ve read recently. The illustrations could be interesting, but the book copy I’m using is so poorly printed that the pictures are a dark mass of graytones.

I can hardly complain, though. I picked this up in a thriftshop, mostly because the title caught my eye and I thought it might be amusing. I read this for the Witches square in the 2016 Halloween Bingo. This makes my 6th & 7th Bingo!