SheriC

J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

Something Wicked This Way Comes ★★★★★

Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury, Christian Rummel

I can’t do this novel justice with my review. I can only say that I loved it, from the characters and the gorgeously textured imagery to the story itself. I even loved the moralizing about wishes and regrets. My only criticism is for the depiction of women. The only positive female characters, the mothers, are only vague impressions as secondary characters, and the description of women as feeding off gossip was frankly offensive.

I listened to the Audible Studios version of the audiobook, and Christian Rummel’s performance was fantastic. He lingered over the text with evident pleasure, allowing the listener to enjoy it fully. Next time I read this book, though, I will do the text version, as I often wished to stop and savor, which is difficult when the audio controls the pacing for you.

I read this for the Horror Aficionados November group read, but also for the Twelve Tasks of the Festive Season. This was for Task the Ninth: The Happy New Year, which was to read a coming of age novel.