SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

Bridget Jones’ Diary ★★★☆☆

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding, Tracie Bennett

This modern reinvention of Pride and Prejudice is pretty amusing, if you can forgive the substitution of the silly Bridget character for Elizabeth Bennett. Actually, this is more a reinvention of the story, if there were no Bennett sisters and if Lydia were the main character instead of Elizabeth. Because Bridget is every bit as vacuous and boy-crazy as Lydia. Still, it’s a fun story, and the audio performance by Tracie Bennett (name coincidence?) perfectly captures Bridget’s voice as she reads the diary entries. I actually preferred the movie version to the original text, although this may be due to the audio being an abridged version. Abridgements are rarely successful, IMHO.

I read this for Task the Eighth: The Movie Ticket (Read a book that has been adapted to a holiday movie). Although it wasn’t explicitly a holiday movie, it begins and ends during the Christmas/New Year holiday season, so I think of it as an annual holiday watch, similar to Love, Actually and An Affair to Remember.