SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

Cold-Hearted Rake ★★★★☆

Cold-Hearted Rake - Lisa Kleypas

I’m pleased to have found a Regency romance where the feisty female protagonist is neither TSTL nor grossly anachronistic, and her love interest isn’t grossly misogynist to start. It was a fun read, and I liked having a couple of male protagonists who really just needed some responsibilities and something constructive to do, to help them discover that they aren’t useless boozy boors after all.

I read this for 2017 Romance Bingo, for the Rogue square. The title is an apt descriptor of both the primary male protagonist and his brother,

who are both lazy, selfish, womanizers, who intend to dump an entire estate with dependent female relatives, tenants, and servants, because they can’t be bothered, but finally come around and become responsible and loving, decent men.

(show spoiler)

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive, with an excellent performance by Mary Jane Wells. I admit to forwarding over the explicit sexy times scenes, though, as I somehow find those a bit cringeworthy when read aloud, especially when it’s going on in my earbuds while I’m wandering the canned goods aisle at the grocery store.