SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages

Skin Deep ★☆☆☆☆

O'Hurley's Return: Skin Deep - Nora Roberts

Wow. I am amazed at how such an awful character can be cast as the love interest in a romance novel. I waited it out long enough to see if Quinn's behavior was a ruse to gain information from Chantel, which would be assholish but at least explainable. But, nope his inner monologue matches his behavior. He genuinely is a misogynist butthead whose initial reaction to a woman being stalked is to dismissively assume that she's making a big deal out of nothing, and that it's no more than she should expect since she's a sexy actress who plays man-eating characters. I don't care how this guy may or may not change over the course of the novel, it makes me want to puke to think that I'm going to be expected to see him as a sexy romantic hero at some point in this book. WTF, no way.

Audiobook via Audible. Good performance by Marie Calliendo, who can't help it that she was given such putrid material to perform.

I gave this my full 20 minute minimum listening time before DNF.

I was attempting to read this for the 2017 Romance Bingo, for the Twins square (actually it's triplets), but I guess I'll have to try the last book in the series, Without A Trace, in hopes that it doesn't suck quite so badly.