SheriC

Portable Magic

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, #1)
Ursula K. Le Guin
Progress: 192/192 pages
The Mystery at Lilac Inn
Russell H. Tandy, Mildred Benson, Carolyn Keene

Heroes Are My Weakness ★★★☆☆

Heroes Are My Weakness[HEROES ARE MY WEAKNESS 11D][UNABRIDGED][Compact Disc] - SusanElizabethPhillips

A really cute story about a quirky ventriloquist whose puppets provide ongoing commentary to everything she does, but are at least mercifully silent during sex. It’s got a brooding, complicated hero, a couple of easily guessable mysteries, and a Happily Ever After, which I don’t consider a spoiler since this is a conventional romance.

I mean really, the love interest is never a sociopathic murderer in these kinds of books, and you can certainly never trust an aging woman who dresses garishly and has a heavy hand with the makeup.

(show spoiler)

What dragged this down from 4 stars to 3 stars was the eye-rollingly awful use of pop psychology, where characters who suffer extreme psychological trauma

are instantly cured when they can finally be coerced into talking about it.

(show spoiler)

And our quirky heroine knowing full well that only a trained psychologist should be attempting therapy, but since there isn’t one around, well, the couple of human psychology classes she took in drama school will do. No consideration that she might do more harm than good. Also, this story should have wrapped up a few chapters earlier, but it gets unnecessarily dragged out because our two lovers are incapable of having an adult conversation about their feelings for one another.

Audiobook, borrowed from my library via Overdrive, with an excellent performance by Erin Bennett.

Read for the 2017 Romance Bingo. It could fit any of these squares:

Headless woman: beheaded by the cover artist

Guy/Girl Next Door: they spent a summer living in the same house as stepsiblings, and are neighbors in the current timeline

Rogue: The MC believes her love interest is

a sociopath who played cruel tricks on her and has even attempted murder

Second Chances: Also third and fourth chances