SheriC

Portable Magic

Carpe Jugulum (Discworld, #23)
Terry Pratchett
The Dry
Jane Harper
Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages

The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer ★★★☆☆

The Ghost and Mrs. Mewer  - Krista Davis

I enjoyed this second book in the Paws and Claws series a bit more than the first, but that might be more due to my adjusted expectations than to any real difference in quality. With my vast experience of a single book in the cozy mystery genre, I have a good idea what to expect, and this book met expectations admirably. It’s a cute story, with uncomplicated characters, and not only does this book add on to the DOGGIES(!) from the first book, it has more KITTIES(!). Seriously, who cares why an unlikeable character drowns under mysterious conditions when there are doggies and kitties galore? The solution to the mystery is almost an aside, for me.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive. Jeanie Kanaley’s narration is just as bad as it was in the first book. I had to laugh aloud every time the main character says or thinks “ugh” (which is lamentably often), because Ms. Kanaley actually pronounces the word, rather than verbalizing that guttural grunt of disgust that it represents. Yes, she actually says, “Ugg,” like she’s referring to trendy footwear.

And yes, I’ve already put the 3rd book in the series, Murder Most Howl, on hold at the library, because in spite of all the flaws, DOGGIES!