SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

The Shuttle - progress: 99/512 pg

The Shuttle - Frances Hodgson Burnett

Okay, I realize that Betty is a bit of a Mary Sue, but I can't help but love her character and how she interacts with the others. This is a conversation from the morning after their ship had a collision with a steamer:

"I was very rude to Louise, when I found her wringing her hands over you, and I was rude to Blanche," Bettina said to Mrs. Worthington. "In fact I believe I was rude to a number of people that night. I am rather ashamed."

"You called me a donkey," said Blanche, "but it was the best thing you could have done. You frightened me into putting on my shoes, instead of trying to comb my hair with them. It was startling to see you march into the stateroom, the only person who had not been turned into a gibbering idiot. I know I was gibbering, and I know Marie was."

"We both gibbered at the red-haired man when we came in," said Marie. "We clutched at him and gibbered together."