SheriC

The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer ★★★☆☆

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer: A Novella - Fredrik Backman

What must it be like inside the mind of a person suffering from progressive dementia? We experience this from the MC’s POV, living and reliving his best memories as the space around him shrinks. Events and timelines are fluid. We see, only dimly, the real people in his life react as he mixes them up with one another and with their past selves.

Although this was a very short book, it was a little difficult for me to stick with. I think it might have been better in a bound version rather than audio, although David Morse’s performance was really very good. It’s just that, with such a confusion of events and people and timelines, I didn’t have the ability to stop and ponder and try to make sense of things as we progressed through the story, so my mind tended to wander. I hope that isn’t a preview to my own aging experience.