SheriC

Progress: 182/272 pages
Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages

Battle Bunny ★★★★★ (edited)

Battle Bunny - Jon Scieszka, Mac Barnett, Matthew Myers

I don’t remember where I saw the recommendation for this book, but thank you, unknown book reviewer, for introducing me to this stinkin’ adorable, yet subversive, little children’s book.

The book is presented as a sickly sweet kiddie book about a birthday bunny who wanders sadly around the forest, meeting various friends who don’t seem to care that it’s his birthday, until *surprise* they have a party for him and HEA. Except that Alex has no use for this gift book from Grandma, and he “improves” it with his own story, turning Birthday Bunny into Battle Bunny and his birthday quest into an evil plan for world destruction that must be foiled by… superhero Alex!

I so want to get this for my little great-nephew, but am unsure when it would be age-appropriate for him, as it clearly requires a kid old enough to get the joke. The cover indicates ages 5-9 and he just started kindergarten, so... maybe for his next birthday?

EDIT: It was Kaethe who introduced me to this wonderful book, as she has so many others that I've added to my great-nephew (and now great-niece)'s library. Thank you!