SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages

The Fold ★★★★☆

The Fold - Peter Clines, Ray Porter

I really had to slog through the first part of this book. This is, for me, the tedious part of Sci-Fi, where the author is establishing the technical How Stuff Works of the book’s events. Honestly, I don’t care, as long as it’s plausible enough for me to suspend disbelief. Not having a hard science background, my mind starts to wander as soon as a story begins delving into quantum theory, which seems to be the underpinning for every Sci-Fi book I’ve read that was written during the last two decades. But the story really takes off somewhere between the first third and the half-way mark. Then it gets to be tremendous fun, with crazy action and mysteries solved. Ironically, though,

the scientific answer in the end was we really don’t know why it works, only that it does.

(show spoiler)

Still, the exciting last half more than makes up for the draggy first half.

Audiobook, purchased via Audible. Ray Porter does a fine job in narrating, although I found his voicing of the female characters vaguely irritating. A little too breathy, perhaps.

I read this for the 2017 Booklikes-opoly challenge, for the square Mystery 8: Read a book that is tagged mystery or has a title that begins with any letter in the word “CLUE”. The first page of shelves shows 124 users tagged it “mystery” at Goodreads, which qualifies it, although I would personally class it as Sci-Fi and Thriller.

Previous Updates: