SheriC

Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 249/311 pages

The Phenomenon ★★★☆☆

The Phenomenon: Pressure, the Yips, and the Pitch that Changed My Life - Rick Ankiel, Tim Brown

I was not a fan of Ankiel, as he didn’t play on my favorite team or even in the same league, at the time he was most famous/infamous. So I was aware of his name, and had vaguely heard of him in connection with the yips, but knew nothing of his story. I found his memoir interesting, and his determination to return to baseball admirable. Even more admirable is his decision to give back to the sport and to players who are suffering a similar experience, in the hopes that, if they can’t overcome the anxiety and have a successful career in baseball, then at least they can move on to other things with courage and pride and still lead a happy and productive life.

Audiobook, purchased via Audible. The author reads his own work, and does as well as can be expected from someone who is not a professional voice actor.

EDIT: Here's an amazing video that shows his disastrous playoff outing when he suddenly lost the ability to throw strikes from 60 feet, to his return 9 years later as a centerfielder with an amazing ability to throw out runners at the plate from 300 feet away. And yet, he was later booed because the yips still kept him from even being able to throw a ceremonial first pitch on a little league field.