Portable Magic

The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

Squares 7 & 8 Suggestions for the 16 Festive Tasks

These are short lists, so I'm cramming them into a single post. Here are my 4-5 star reads for squares 7 & 8 for the 16 Tasks of the Festive Season.

Square 7: December 10th & 13th:

International Human Rights Day: Read a book originally written in another language (i.e., not in English and not in your mother tongue),

• The Son: A novel by Jo Nesbø
  • I really need to step up on my (Book Riot) We Need Diverse Books shelf.

–OR– a book written by anyone not anglo-saxon,

• The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey by Walter Mosley
  • The Good House by Tananarive Due
  • Letter to my Daughter by Maya Angelou
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
  • The Last Werewolf by Glenn Duncan
  • Maya Angelou Poetry Collection by Maya Angelou (audiobook, ISBN 0375420177, read by the author, gorgeous!)

–OR– any story revolving around the rights of others either being defended or abused.

• The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple by Jeff Guinn
  • Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

–OR– Read a book set in New York City, or The Netherlands (home of the UN and UN World Court respectively).

• Night Film by Maria Pessl

Saint Lucia's Day: Read a book set in Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Sweden - and Finland for the purposes of this game) or a book where ice and snow are an important feature.

• The Shining by Stephen King
  • The Son: A novel by Jo Nesbø
  • Dark Matter by Michelle Paver
  • Boomerang: Travels in the New Third World by Michael Lewis
  • The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

Square 8: December 12th - 24th:

Book themes for Hanukkah: Any book whose main character is Jewish, any story about the Jewish people –OR– where the miracle of light plays a significant part in the stories plot.

• The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
  • People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

Book themes for Las Posadas:  Read a book dealing with visits by family or friends, or set in Mexico, –OR– with a poinsettia on the cover. –OR– a story where the main character is stranded without a place to stay, or find themselves in a 'no room at the Inn’ situation.

• None that I could think of.