SheriC

Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

Square7 Task (maybe): Allen Veterans Memorial

So I stopped by the civic center in Allen, Texas to visit and take photos of their war memorial, only to get home and re-read the task, and I'm not so sure that it actually fits the task requirements, which specify a "war memorial or other memorial to an event pertaining to Human Rights", and this is a veterans memorial that honors soldiers who have served in any of the US armed forces. I did some more research and have another in mind that I'd like to visit, but just not sure when I can drive that far to get there - it's the Dallas Freedman's Memorial Cemetery.

But I thought I would share anyway.

Square 7: December 10th & 13th: International Human Rights Day: Post a picture of yourself next to a war memorial or other memorial to an event pertaining to Human Rights.  (Pictures of just the memorial are ok too.)

This is the approach to the memorial - it's placed in a really nice city park with walking paths and a pond.

And a little closer up, so you can see how it's arranged. It's five black stone obelisks to represent each branch of the armed forces, facing a flag pole that flies the US and state flags. It's ringed by some perennial beds that are starting to get their second bloom with the weather finally cooling off.

Five benches ring the flagpole, and there are black stone pavers inscribed with names of some who've served.

And the outer wall also has bricks dedicated to individuals who've served. It's nice place to sit and just think. For book-reading though, I'd go down to the pond and use one of the more comfortable park benches under the trees, or spread a blanket down there.