SheriC

Bob Woodward
Progress: 17 %
Everything Trump Touches Dies
Rick Wilson
A Little Princess (Audio)
Frances Hodgson Burnett, Virginia Leishman
The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 35 %

Whispers Under Ground ★★★★★

Whispers Under Ground  - Ben Aaronovitch, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith

Another fun murder mystery in magical London, solved by the Metro Police’s apprentice wizard, Peter Grant. I enjoyed it as a mystery, although I’m not sure I could have figured it out from the clues sprinkled throughout the book – it depends on an intuitive leap on Peter’s part at the end. The charm, though, is in the story, the characters, and the world created by the author.

Every book in this series adds to the magical London that the metro police’s “unusual” events unit must deal with. We got a little visit with our old friends, the sassy river goddesses, and to meet new ones, half-fairy (or is that half-goblin?) and those who live in the secret places that they’ve carved out underneath London, all of whom have their own set of natural laws and etiquette that Peter must learn to navigate. It becomes apparent that Nightengale isn’t exactly infallible or omniscient. And more Lesley – I’m really looking forward to how her character evolves over the series.

Audiobook, via Audible. Once again, the performance by Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is perfect in every way. I could listen to that man’s voice all day, every day.

I read this for The 16 Tasks of the Festive Season, Square 9: December 21st. Book themes for Yuletide: Read a book set in the midst of a snowy or icy winter. This story takes place during a rare London snowstorm, a few days before Christmas.

Oh, who am I kidding. I read this book because I needed something that would be guaranteed fun after the last two books I chose were complete duds, then I found a game square to fit.

Previous Updates: