SheriC

J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

Square 9 December 21st: Winter Solstice and Yaldā Night

The 16 Tasks of the Festive Season: Square 9 December 21st

InstructionsWinter Solstice is the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, also known as Yaldā Night in Iran. The same day is the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere, giving them the longest day of the year. Tasks for Winter Solstice and Yaldā Night: Grab one of your thickest books off the shelf.  Ask a question and then turn to page 40 and read the 9th line of text on that page.  Post your results.

Because I have a lot emotionally invested in the answer to the question I’m asking, and because most of my thickest books are written by that jolly old elf Stephen King, I decided to hedge my bets by choosing three books to ask, figuring I could triangulate the outcome from the answers.

Under the Dome - Stephen King  The Dark Tower - Stephen King  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  - J.K. Rowling

My question: “Are the Texas Rangers going to be contenders next year, or will it be another season of frustration and heartbreak for North Texas baseball fans?”

Answer #1 – Under the Dome by Stephen King:

He saw a man’s sneaker – it was too big to be a woman’s – with the man’s foot still in it.

Hmm, a foot entirely ripped from its owner’s body seems like it portends another season plagued by injuries.

Answer #2 – The Dark Tower by Stephen King:

“We can phone him from Bridgton. But in a story, Roland, a minor character like John Cullum would never come in off the bench to save the day. It wouldn’t be considered realistic.”

Oh dear, it sounds like the bench players shouldn’t be expected to save the season if the starters are injured. Although, in this book, John Cullum really does save the day, so… hmmm…. Well, let’s try some Harry Potter – that’s bound to be a little more humorously optimistic, right?

Answer #3 – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling:

“Open it!” Harry urged her. “Get it over with! It’ll happen anyway –“

“No –“ Aunt Petunia’s hand was trembling. She looked wildly around the kitchen as though looking for an escape route, but too late – the envelope burst into flames.

[Crawls back into bed and pulls the covers over head, sobbing]