SheriC

Stephen King, Ron McLarty
Fear: Trump in the White House
Bob Woodward
Progress: 81 %
A Little Princess (Audio)
Frances Hodgson Burnett, Virginia Leishman
Progress: 24 %
The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 61 %

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper ★★★☆☆

The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper - Phaedra Patrick

Once in a while, I fall for the “because you read ______” recommendations that shout at me from every book buying and review site. I’ve been trying, unsuccessfully, to think of a time when I wasn’t disappointed. I need to remember this, next time temptation strikes.

This book was supposed to please readers who enjoyed A Man Called Ove and The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and I suppose it is similar in that its main character is an old man who goes on a journey of self discovery. But that’s about it. I found the story charming at first, but it quickly devolved into cutesiness, and neither the writing nor the lessons learned nor the character evolution lifted it above the threshold for suspension of disbelief required for its unlikely events or improbable characters as did the two books that the recommendation was based on. The forward momentum stopped several chapters before the end, and I had to force myself to finish. It was an okay story, I suppose, for people who like glurge.

Audiobook, purchased via Audible. The performance by James Langton was excellent, and elevated the book from two stars to three.