SheriC

J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 35 %

The Book of Dust ★★★★☆

The Book of Dust:  La Belle Sauvage (Book of Dust, Volume 1) - Philip Pullman

Absolutely worth putting all my other books on "pause" for. This was as much fun as The Golden Compass, and without all the complicated nature-of-the-universe plot machinations of the other books in that trilogy. There is plenty of action and peril to propel the story along, and the two new main characters are easy to invest in. Baby Lyra isn't given much to do, other than to just be a baby, but it was interesting to see how the author portrays the relationship of human to daemon in infancy.

I think this probably works as a stand-alone, but it's hard to know how much of my familiarity with the characters of Lyra's parents and the world they occupy informed my understanding of this book's events. Interestingly, this book seems to incorporate a little more fantasy into its steampunkiness than I remember from the first book.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library after a six month wait on hold. Michael Sheen's performance is fantastic.