SheriC

Bob Woodward
Progress: 17 %
Everything Trump Touches Dies
Rick Wilson
A Little Princess (Audio)
Frances Hodgson Burnett, Virginia Leishman
The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 35 %

Fascism: A Warning - 2%

Fascism: A Warning - Madeleine Albright

If we think of fascism as a wound from the past that we had almost healed, putting Trump in the White House was like ripping off the bandage and picking at the scab...

The United States has had flawed presidents before. In fact, we have never any other kind, but we have not had a chief executive in the modern era whose statements and actions are so at odds with democratic ideals.

From the early stages of his campaign and right into the Oval Office, Donald Trump has spoken harshly about the institutions and principles that make up the foundation of open government. In the process, he has systematically degraded political discourse in the United States, shown an astonishing disregard for facts, libeled his predecessors, threatened to lock up political rivals, referred to mainstream journalists as the enemy of the American people, spread falsehoods about the integrity of the US electoral process, touted mindlessly nationalistic economic and trade policies, vilified immigrants and the countries from which they come, and nurtured a paranoid bigotry toward the followers of one of the world's foremost religions.

None of this is a newsflash to me. It's what has concerned me most about this administration and so thoroughly alarmed me when elected officials in other branches of government - the ones supposed to provide the checks and balances our entire system of government depend on - failed to rein him in.

This is depressing as hell. I'm going to have to take this book in small sips.