SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

Salem’s Lot ★★★☆☆

'Salem's Lot - Stephen King, Ron McLarty

Somehow, one of my all-time favorite classic horror stories just didn’t stand up to time and my adult reading habits on this re-read. The scenes I most enjoyed as a teen were as creepily nightmarish as I remembered –

Mike Ryerson digging Danny Glick’s grave, Danny at Mark’s window, the boys in the woods, the guys delivering the box in the basement, Marjorie Glick’s awakening,

(show spoiler)

etc., etc., etc. But where teenaged me found Susan Norton a little annoying, middle-aged me wanted to give her a swift kick. Their romance (unfortunately like most of SK’s romances) was laughably implausible. I wanted to gag both Jimmy Cody *and* Matt Burke. The opening and closing scenes felt clumsily tacked on.

Overall, though, the time spent on the re-read was well worth it, even if only just for those individual scenes.

Audiobook, via Audible. I don’t know why, but Ron McLarty’s voice just grates on me. I seriously can’t explain why. I read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo. I’ve decided to use Stephen King for my Wild Card author, but I’m holding onto it for now until I decide where best to play it.