SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

A Night in the Lonesome October ★★★☆☆

A Night in the Lonesome October - Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny

I got exactly what I expected from this book: A quick, easy read with plenty of humor and an inventive story. It’s full of famous fictional mystery and horror characters, from “the Great Detective” to “the Count”, with Jack the Ripper as the main protagonist. But the fun comes from the book's POV, which is not of the famous characters themselves, but of their animal familiars. Jack’s companion Snuff makes his daily guard dog rounds, ensuring that the Things (in the mirror, in the attic, in the Circle, etc) don’t escape, spying on the other players, and developing cooperative relationships with their animal familiars. The chapters are short, the battles are fun to read, and the ending was satisfying.

Paperback, found in a secondhand bookstore. This was my first Zelazny, but probably won’t be my last.

I read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo square Supernatural: mystery, suspense or horror books which include elements that defy current understanding of the natural world, including magic, witchcraft and/or crypto-zoological aspects.