SheriC

Progress: 19 %
The Shadow of Polperro
Frances Cowan
Progress: 20/235 pages
A Little Princess (Audio)
Frances Hodgson Burnett, Virginia Leishman
Progress: 24 %
The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 68 %

October: A Novel ★★★★☆

October - Michael Rowe

This novella was a quick wild ride, once it got going. I think it could have benefitted from a longer and more thorough treatment, to give us a more nuanced view of our main characters, but as I understand this was originally a short story, perhaps this is really all the author had to say about his characters. But I felt for Mikey and Wroxy. I had a small, very small, taste of being bullied as a child, and I remember other children who were the constant targets of harassment, likely much worse than was done publicly. The ending… is the logical conclusion of Mikey’s choices, but not the one I hoped for. Sometimes, though, the ending that we, as readers want, is not the ending that is right. It was still satisfying.

Audiobook, via Audible. Joel Froomkin was the perfect voice for Mikey, although he reminded me irresistibly of George McFly.

I read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo square New release: mystery, suspense, horror or supernatural that was published after 10/31/17. Although it was based on a short story written in the late 1980’s, this novella was just published in February 2018.