SheriC

The Bungalow Mystery
P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

The Vintage Bradbury ★★★★☆

The Vintage Bradbury: The greatest stories by America's most distinguished practioner of speculative fiction - Ray Bradbury

This collection of short stories was apparently selected by Bradbury himself, so that's an interesting insight into the author, or at least where his head was in the mid 1960's when this was originally published. I've enjoyed almost all of them, been frankly disturbed by a few, and just a couple found dull. My particular favorites: The Veldt, There Will Come Soft Rains, Dandelion Wine, Skeleton, and The Watchful Poker Chip of H. Matisse.

I've been documenting my thoughts on each of the short stories throughout my book update posts, so I've linked to them below.

Here are my thoughts on the last 4 stories:

The Dwarf – Cruelty vs compassion, or when compassion is cruel. Also, if the funhouse mirrors distorted us into revealing our true nature. Also, I’m starting to wonder why Bradbury’s female characters are always attached to such shitshow men.

Fever Dream – Legitimately freaked me out. Loved it.

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit – oooooookay that was cringeworthy

There Will Come Soft Rains – Like The Veldt, this is a favorite and was also my introduction to Bradbury short stories. The haunting imagery of the empty house and the images etched into the exterior walls has stayed with me throughout my life, from the time I first read it for a middle school assignment.

Update #1