SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

The Mysterious Affair at Styles ★★★★★

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie

This was fun! Poirot seemed awfully subdued at first, but before long he was back to primping and excitedly twisting his mustaches. Lots of misdirection, and I suspected every single character at one time, and was *still* surprised at whodunnit. But it was not a cheat! Only 2 complaints: one is that there are just too darn many characters to keep up with, but I suppose that’s the whole point with this sort of mysteries. I don’t think I could have kept up with them all if I had been listening on audio. The other, practically inevitable in a book written in 1920, is some racial/ethnic slurs.

eBook version, downloaded free from the Gutenberg Project.

I read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square Locked Room Mystery: a subgenre of detective fiction in which a crime (almost always murder) is committed in circumstances under which it was seemingly impossible for the perpetrator to commit the crime or evade detection in the course of getting in and out of the crime scene. This was, literally, a murder committed in a locked room.

Prior Updates: