SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

Deliverance ★★★★☆

Deliverance - James Dickey, Will Patton

If you can persevere through the first third of this book, it will reward you with an excellent vintage thriller. But it was a challenge to get there. I don’t know what it was about the early to mid 1970’s that had the American adult population so invested in interminable navel-gazing, but it seems that every book I’ve read from that time frame is determined to investigate every fiber of belly-button lint it can find. This particular book is about The Domesticated Suburban Man who has lost touch with his Manly Man self, and whether he can get back in touch with it once civilization has been stripped away and he must fight for his survival, and Who Is He after such an experience.

I’m sorry if I made this sound horrible. It’s actually a very enjoyable ride (eventually), and well worth the time spent on it.

Audiobook, via Audible. Will Patton provides an outstanding performance as narrator.

I read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square In the Dark, Dark Woods: a mystery, suspense, horror or supernatural book in which the forest/woods plays a significant role, or which has a forest/woods on the cover. This book is set in the Georgia wilderness, with critical action taking place both on the river and in the surrounding woods.

Prior Updates: