SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

Subb ★★☆☆☆

Subb - Carroll Mather Capps, C.C. MacApp

Between the cover art and the synopsis promising a vintage 1960’s sci-fi suspense/thriller featuring brain transplants, aliens, and portals to other worlds, I was prepared to be delighted. This could have been so much fun, but this has to have been just about the most humorless book I’ve read in a while, and considering I’ve been reading mystery and horror for the last 3 weeks, that’s really saying something. It introduced a corporate espionage/interstellar political intrigue plot, threw in mysterious aliens of unknown intent, and added in a little familial drama, then spent far too many pages explaining interstellar navigation and weapons, before leaving the reader with a half-assed resolution to the alien mystery and all the other plot threads dangling.

Tattered paperback, purchased as part of a $3 mystery bundle at Half-Price Books.

I read this book for the Booklikes Halloween Bingo 2019, for the square Aliens: Any mystery, horror, suspense or supernatural book that includes aliens, either here on earth, or in space. This square isn’t on my bingo card, so I’m reserving this one in case I need a Transfiguration Spell later.

Prior Updates: