SheriC

P.M. Carlson, Russell H. Tandy, Carolyn Keene
Progress: 204/204 pages

Lord of the Flies ★★★★★

Lord of the Flies - William Golding

I first read this book as a teenager, and in some ways it was more terrifying than all the Stephen King books I was busily gobbling up at the time. It might have been the first book I read that illustrated, in a way that felt viscerally true, how easily the veneer of civilization can break down.

I'm sometimes afraid to revisit a book I loved in my youth, because so often they disappoint me as an adult. Lord of the Flies did not disappoint. It resonated more than ever, this story of what can happen when the rule of law breaks down, truth becomes fluid, and a compelling personality with bullying ways gains a little power.

Audiobook via Audible. The audio experience can sometimes suffer when the book is read by the author rather than a professional voice actor, and this story of children descending into savagery could have seemed odd when read with the voice of an old man, but in this case it worked very well.

I read this for The 24 Festive Tasks 2019, for Door 1 Dia de los Muertes, Reread a favorite book by a deceased author or from a finished series, or read a book set in Mexico or a book that either has a primarily black and white cover or all the colors (ROYGBIV) on the cover, or a book featuring zombies. William Golding passed away in 1993.