Portable Magic

J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 13 %

The Good House ★★★★☆

The Good House - Tananarive Due

Review for the audiobook edition, read by Robin Miles. This book was a bit of a slow starter for me, as I had some difficulty connecting with the main character. But I'm glad I stuck with it, because once the supernatural elements started appearing, it took off with a bang. The story of the confused and angry teenaged son who realizes his mistakes too late caught my sympathy and interest. The author does a fine job of bringing the characters' feelings and surroundings to life. I was glued to my ipod during the "reclaimation" scene in the house. I liked the way the book ends on a note of hope, but without wrapping up all the storylines in a trite happily-ever-after package. The narrator, Robin Miles, is fantastic. She has a warm, rich voice that is a pleasure to listen to, her pacing is perfect, and every character has a distinct voice. I will look for books read by her in future.