SheriC

Portable Magic

A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, #1)
Ursula K. Le Guin
The Bungalow Mystery #3
Progress: 192/192 pages
The Mystery at Lilac Inn
Russell H. Tandy, Mildred Benson, Carolyn Keene

Shattered: The True Story of a Mother's Love, a Husband's Betrayal, and a Cold-Blooded Texas Murder ★★★☆☆

Shattered: The True Story of a Mother's Love, a Husband's Betrayal, and a Cold-Blooded Texas Murder - Kathryn Casey, Coleen Marlo

I picked this up because (1) true crime is one of my guilty pleasures (2) this happened very close to where I grew up, even though it was many years after I moved away from Houston. As a true crime, it was not bad. The storyline was unfortunately too common to be of much real interest and the writing was serviceable. The setting being of particular interest to me adds another star to the overall rating. The narration performance unfortunately detracted from my enjoyment, but I don't blame the Coleen Marlo for her consistent mispronunciation of place names. Tantor Audio should have given her the necessary information to do her job. But hearing Alief pronounced as "uh-LEEF" instead of "AY-leef", amongst several other gaffes, was annoying. Also, like many audio narrators, she substituted a vaguely Southern U.S. accent for a Texas drawl.