SheriC

Progress: 19 %
The Shadow of Polperro
Frances Cowan
Progress: 20/235 pages
A Little Princess (Audio)
Frances Hodgson Burnett, Virginia Leishman
Progress: 24 %
The Return of the King
J.R.R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis
Progress: 68 %

Harry Potter & The Sorcerer's Stone - Reread ★★★★★

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  - J.K. Rowling, Jim  Dale

Although I read this first as an adult and it is clearly a children's book, I loved it from the first. JKR's playfulness with language, her love of alliteration and punny names, charmed me as much as the magical world that she layered atop our own. It felt real in a way that make-believe worlds often do not, in that the inhabitants are mostly just ordinary people who integrate magic with technology to solve everyday problems. I enjoyed her sly commentary on our human foibles and societal attitudes. She created an interesting group of characters, placed them in a cleverly constructed world, and gave them a battle of good vs. evil to carry out. What more could anyone want?

Progress updates through book:

Group Read!!!1!!

Not normally a squee-er but am squee-ing over the Harry Potter group read. I love these books and can't wait to read them with other grown-ups.

Ch. 1

This book charmed me from the very first paragraph, with its description of the determinedly normal Dursley family, who didn't hold with such nonsense.

pp. 137

"Hermione Granger was on the edge of her seat and looked desperate to start proving that she wasn't a dunderhead."

Hermione's cringeworthy know-it-all-edness is so very familiar. Not that I was ever like that. Not at all. I never had a teacher tell me to let someone else answer for a change. Nope, not me.

p. 226"'You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell,' said Snape, taking a step toward him."

I just love this character. His personality is over the top and yet so very contradictory. He's the most interesting character in this whole series, and nearly the only one in which

their likeability is not clearly a marker of whether he's a white-hat or black-hat. It kept me guessing until the very last book.

(show spoiler)

pg. 293

"Harry would have screamed, but he couldn't make a sound. Where there should have been a back to Quirrell's head, there was a face, the most terrible face that Harry had ever seen. It was chalk white with glaring red eyes and slits for nostrils, like a snake. 'Harry Potter...' it whispered."

(show spoiler)