SheriC

Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice ★★★★☆

The Annotated Pride and Prejudice -  David M. Shapard, Jane Austen

I have read Austen's Pride and Prejudice over and over. I never get bored with it. It is, for me, the perfect romance against which all others are compared and found wanting. So it pains me to give this book only four stars. But there were so many spelling and formatting errors that I simply cannot overlook it. I'm just beginning to read ebooks, having just acquired my first tablet, and I have heard that some publishers have been very lazy with their conversions of bound books to the ebook format. This must be one of them, because I can't believe that these would have slipped past the editing process for a bound book. In many cases, words were inappropriately hyphenated where I suppose in the bound version they appeared at a line break.

Without the errors, I would have given this book the full five stars plus moonbeams and rainbows. Five stars for Austen, and the rest for the annotations. Although much of it contained explanations that I didn't need, such as "countenance" = expression and "intelligence" = information, there were many annotations that gave me a historical context or other background information that I didn't previously know or had only guessed at from the context of the story, such as the significance of the number, type, and naming conventions for servants, the significance of the different types of carriages, etc. In some cases, Shapard provides previous interpretations and debates them. It really added to the book, and I will look for other classics that have been given this same treatment by Shapard.

But those damn misspellings and formatting errors were really annoying.

edit: This was a library copy, borrowed via Overdrive