SheriC

Progress: 22/414 pages
Hogfather
Terry Pratchett
Progress: 85/356 pages
The Arm: Inside the Billion-Dollar Mystery of the Most Valuable Commodity in Sports
Jeff Passan
Progress: 104/368 pages
Flowers for Algernon
Daniel Keyes
Progress: 289/311 pages

Needful Things update: I've read 80%.

Needful Things - Stephen King

"They could all see where the stink was coming from. Thick runners of whitish yellow smog were pouring over the choir's waist-high railing and through the diamond shaped cutouts in the low panels. The side door was just beneath the choir balcony, but no one thought of going in that direction. A stench that strong would kill you, but first your eyeballs would pop, and your hair would fall out, and your asshole would seal itself shut in outraged horror. The Baptist Anti-Gambling Christian Soldiers of Castle Rock became a routed army in less than five seconds.They stampeded toward vestibule at the back of the church, screaming and gagging."

It's not exactly great literature, but is there another author who can draw a picture so clearly in your mind and leave you grossed out and laughing at the same time? The horror comes in the same passage, as he describes what happens when a large group of people panic in a small confined space. Not supernatural at all, but just a part of human nature whose outcome we often read about in the news.